After the tutorial with Joel, I decided to keep my focus on casting, as it has similar properties to my original material, but I can actually manipulate it. I have yet to experiment with different materials, as there is difficulty in sourcing alternative materials and getting it delivered on time; so for next Tuesday I will experiment incorporating aggregates to the cast and also will try using concrete/ cement as a variation.
I started including hinges to the cast components, so that it can actually unfold and change its composition. I used copper mesh , brass metal strips and jute fabric to create a seem and hinge between all the parts. I should try different materials for this, as the mesh and jute looks messy and too flexible, however the brass strip looks aesthetic appealing and its sturdy for support, it also creates the fusion and contrast that I wanted to achieve, on the negative side it is too hard on the cast and makes it brittle on the joints! Ill look into adapting it to make more suitable, as I like the contrast it created.
This sketch model below is just an initial experiment of the overall shape ( I wanted it to unfold from a cubic shape), its for testing the seems/ hinges and understand about the actual weight and gravity of the different parts.
The sequence as it should unfold… and refold…