What I am doing so far……
- I am now working on putting spaces into plans and sections. In section, I design 2 different routes for going up (green in photo) and down (red in photo). The slabs level in section are referring to the existing building. I keep most of them and cutting voids to create hierarchy and box form spaces. In some of the spaces, I intend to bring in more interaction between the going up and heading down visitors to enrich the feeling of journey. The plans are now half designed, I target to finalize the plans before end of next week. So I can concentrate on graphics and portfolio for a month or less.
- Here is a rough drawing that I want my darkroom feels like. For safety reason, the darkroom cannot be 100% dark indeed, so I am exploring a way to have just enough light to direct visitors without making the space too dark or the light too sharp to hurt the eyes. There will be rooms in the darkrooms with small exhibitions and space to connect to external.
All small exhibition rooms have a corridor as a buffer zone before going into the room to avoid unexpected sharp light. The bottom of the wall will be framed glazing strip to bring the light out to darkroom from inside.
- Follow up the comment about the graphic for the individual spaces sheets, I spent sometime last week to work on this. Tank
- For the scheme, my building is a museum that concentrate on using light and shadow to form and shaping spaces. And the remain building elements would be also used to be reminded its original use of the building but not in 1st position. And when I look on the relationship of the site/community and my project/building, ‘gentrification’ is again an ongoing issue in Williamsburg. How does gentrification related to my site? Actually the regenerating the land of Domino Sugar Factory, including my site is a behavior of gentrification. Williamsburg was once an industrial district and after the fall of industrial period, lots of factories were abandoned or demolished. And until now, most of the remained factories are turned into hotels, luxury condos or fancy offices. Moreover, Willamsburg is now considering to set up a business district. Those regenerated factories was physically remain but not the soul. Domino Sugar Factory was once the lead in sugar industry and represent the overall industrial figure in its glorious time. Furthermore, an article written in 2013 mentioned that small individual industry is replacing the traditional big factories. Hence, I want my building contains 1.(most important) light and shadow spaces, 2. elements to remain the sugar factory and 3. some exhibitions spaces and small workshop rooms to support small industry as the memorial of the industrial factories in Williamsburg.
- The laser cut boards are nearly ready, there are only 3 more to cut then I can start glue them.