Map of Dungeness 1km radius from Dungeness Power Station B, showing nearby buildings around proposed site.
Speculative section of the nuclear power station after visit to Dungeness.
Flowchart of stages of decomission of nuclear power stations in UK.
Diagram illustrating the stages of decomission and spaces which are safe/contaminated.
- Precedent studies (FRAC, C-Mine, Salina Turda, Turda Brewery).
- Memory sketches from the visit to Nuclear Power Station B.
- What are you archiving?
- Why are you archiving?
- Can you draw Dungeness as an archive?
- How would recognise the historical significance of Dungeness?
- Landscape/ conservation area as an archive
- Therefore is there another way of archiving?
- Is there an action/activity of archiving?
- How can the haunting aspect come through?
- What unites people/ how will it be used?
- How different actions over time affected the landscape and hence how it might be curated?
- Show more archiving process.
- Something new growing as something is being decommissioned. Can the decommissioning of the power plant influence the archiving process?
- The memory sketches showed should be shown more, and the influence they have on the design process should be considered.
- Be selected of what sketches/trace becomes drawings.
- How do the users/ inhabitants engage in the process. (show the scenario more on how will the engagement affect their lives)
- Bring time into all drawings; more complexity in time should be detailed.
- A unified language should be developed.
To do by the end of 1st semester:
- Identify the safe/contaminated spaces in the power station in more detail – based on contamination level.
- Identify what, why and different methods of archiving.
- Detail up speculative section + speculative plan of nuclear power station.
- Document memory sketches.