Feedback on work produced this week:
- Drawings of Jarman’s house are still not ‘decayed’ enough. Look at the work of Brian Dillon, Piranesi and Joseph Gandy to see how they represent decay in ruins buidings. What can you learn?
- Precdent study drawings- Art historical images of ruins. Analyse how a bird might occupy these?
- Look at ruination as proactive- for example Hitler built for ruination.
Key words: Chance, Opportunity, Transfer of Ownership
- Drawings should present the idea that becoming ‘undone’ presents new opportunities.
- Add Derek Jarman’s garden to the cottage drawings. How does the garden takes over the house as it decays- transferring ownership
Keywords: Vision, Looking
- Book: ‘About Looking’ John Berger
- ‘New layers of meaning in what we see’
- ‘Layers of opportunity’
Keywords: Preservation, destruction, chance
- Who decides the preserved state. If it is Derek then which state would he like his cottage preserved at?
- How would Derek best like to percieve his house and his garden?
- May it is about the garden taking over the house? The house becomes one of his scultptures in the garden.
- Like magpies- People contribute to the building of the garden and the house- CHANCE and therefore preserving Derek Jarman’s philosophy
- Analyse the principles behind Derek’s Garden- How do you draw this?
- Exploded drawing type- should the exploded drawing be isometric or could it be more irregular? What is a ruined exploded drawing?
- Reserach Todd McLennan- Motion Stills
- Replicating the explosion is an act of chance
- Add to the cottage drawing- furniture- things within the house- how can these off the bird a nesting habitat- how can these be exploded?
Portfolio idea– ripping pages to reveal layers behind. Like peeling layers of paint off to reveal what is underneath. Inspired by image shown below. (Can experiment with different paper types, glue and paint)
Key Drawings for Next Week: (In order of priority)
Drawing 1: Exploded typical redstart nest drawing with the redstart to scale
Drawing 2: Site map. How does a redstart move around the site? Does it hop, soar, swoop?
Drawing 3: Precedent study of art historical drawings including piranesi and Josephy Gandy- how can these decayed spaces be occupied by birds?
Drawing 4: Derek Jarman’s cottage version 3: Add the garden, add furniture, add more decay in reference to previous precedent study drawing. Shown transfer of ownership
Drawing 5: (After crit) Exploded drawing of cottage- replicating an explosion.