New Work Presented:
To go alongside existing drawings: ‘Derek Jarman’s Design Principles’ and ‘The Black Redstart Nesting Principles’
Dungeness: History and Growth
To design the ideal state of preservation/ decay for each occupant of Prospect Cottage. Each of these preserved states is not designed ‘for’ the protagonist but becomes an intervention within the landscape for visitors to experience.
- Work in progress concept drawing to show 4 ideal preserved states- What classifies these ideal states- that is the brief.
- The phases/ processes dictate a design methodology at each stage of design.
- How can each state of decay be experienced by the visitors of Dungeness to preserve the legacy of the building and to highlight an awareness of life through the architecture.
- Time period- 1986 – from when Derek inhabits to when the building completely deteriorates and is given back to the landscape.
- Explore further the shifting of scales and views- maybe through physical model making to discover different micro/ macro aspects of the site
- The two ‘mascots’ should be more evident through drawing styles
- At the moment the camera shows the same angle/ view for the perspective of each macot.
- A timeline of decay- more graphic. What happens when the house comes to the end of its lifestyle
- Why does the redstart pick the house- what happned when it lives there? Is it multioccupied? Show the interior of the house in the drawings.
To do this week:
- Collate work into books because at the moment it is all over everywhere and hard to show in a table top style presentations. – maybe one book for each protagonist
- Define 4 different drawing styles for each of Derek, Bird, Garden, Dungeness
- Begin physcial model making
- Start to draw the interior of the house focusing on how Derek/ the bird would see it