This week I have:
- Drawn the existing obsolete structures along the path to the coast (this is where the project began and where Jarman ‘beachcombed’ for his objects to build his garden)
- Drawn the neighbouring buildings to Prospect Cottage- ‘Anchorage’ and ‘Pleasant Cottage’ – these are the first sites that my process of decay and growth will begin to ‘infect’
- Drawn the framework for ‘Shingle House’ designed by NORD Architects- As the landscape’s role in the project expands even further I will show how the process will infect Shingle House and its surrounding site- this will be shown in more detail than the other two sites because it is more interesting that it is a newer building designed specifically by architects- it will be interesting to see how the intentions of the architect are preserved throuh my process.
- I also like the statement from NORD in their design proposal which says ‘Dungeness seems unintentional and deliberate at the same time’– by ‘decaying’ Shingle House I am arguing that their current proposal seems completely intentional so why should it be left preserved and unaffected by the conditions of Dungeness.
All of these drawings have resulted in me putting together a 1:2000 Existing Landscape drawing and a 1:200 existing garden drawing. I am now able to start infecting the existing witht the design principles from Derek, bird, garden etc.
1:2000 Landscape Drawing:
1:200 Garden (Existing):
Shingle House (Existing)
With regards to design I have reached the ‘ideal’ stage for the garden whereby the interventions begin to leak into the garden and become structures to protect the plants from the weather, which looks like this:
- I plan to continue infecting the other sites with the same design process using the principles from all 4 protgaonists.
- I will start by analysing the design of each dwelling to understand which spaces are important to each protagonist and therefore which spaces/ compoents should be preserved/ emphasised.
- I will also use components of Prospect cottage within the design of the other sites- this needs a component parts drawing to show which parts of prospect cottage are preserved to be used again on the other sites.
- I plan to keep exporting an isometric view of each stage to show the process and to show what have changed from the previous intervention and apply a timescale.
This weekend I am spending on portfolio layout. I am thinking of using the long fold out layout so that each drawing folds back to A3 and will all fit in a box.