From the previous crit and tutorial, I have made a journey of the memory based on my own personal memory of Dungeness. I dissected my own memory of Dungeness and see how memories flow. What I found out is that memory is mostly formed through association. That is why few of the memory strengthening methods include acronyms and word association; our brain works best if it associates a certain sensory experience with another similar one. Also, this is the reason why false memory occurs. I have drawn up a mind map of what I remember about Dungeness, as well as sensory experience involved, how each element of the memory connect with each other and the description of each memory in terms of the sensory experience obtained.
This will be the basis of my program, on how to extract memories from a person – association.
Also, from an article (click here), it was recently discovered that memories are not formed in a linear method; where the sensory experiences go to the hippocampus before sending off to the cortex and long term memories are made by strengthening the short term memories. However, memories are formed both in the hippocampus and cortex simultaneously.
This has altered the flow of the proposed program, where I looked into shadow puppetry which has two different zones of production and the screen works as the medium of communication. It became the core of how the trigger and extract process can happen – while one has their memories extracted, another party from another screen will also create the memorabilia based from the extracted memories simultaneously.
In terms of design, I took the advice of being more playful with the spaces. It is still a work in progress, however, the main idea is that 3 blocks will have the 3 main phases; trigger, extract, store.
Works done// in progress:
- Booklet of precedents (including the latest precedents of Surrealist artworks and ritualistic architecture
- Designing the spaces experienced by users in the archive.
- Draw out the journey of the memory.
- Researching in glass architecture, structures for tech.
- Take the journey of a memory even further by adding details and associations, as well as take another journey of a memory to investigate how memory is highly related to association.
- Create a 200mm x 200mm x 200mm memorabilia based on the journey of the both memories.
- Draw up the findings in finer detail.